Monday, August 9, 2010

Enjoying the Journey!

Enjoying the Journey!

I've always lived my life on the cautious side. Most decisions I've made were based on fear, fear of what could go wrong, fear of failure, fear of the unknown and sometimes even fear of success and then what would that bring. I don't know where this unhealthy emotion comes from and I don't really care, it's just who I am, or was.
Last June when Dave was diagnosed with cancer and we came face to face with our mortality, I did some serious soul searching and didn't like some of what I found. I made many vows in those sleepless nights. One of them was that I would try to enjoy life. Live my life, not ruled by fear, but by joy and happiness and new experiences. This blog is a record of my journey. I'm sure at times it will be scary and challenging and funny and it might actually hurt but living in fear is no fun.
I like this picture because it shows me embarking on this new path. I've always wanted to surf but was too afraid to try. Last November while in Hawaii, I did it. I along with some supportive friends grabbed our boards and hung ten. You can tell a couple of things from the picture. The most obvious is that the waves aren't very big, but I had to start somewhere. The second is that my posture still shows some signs of fear but, the reason I love this picture is that my arms are wide open and my heart is open with them, ready to conquer this challenge and begin to enjoy all that is to come.


3 comments:

  1. Mom- you rock. I'm glad you started blogging. You have so many stories to tell. Plus facebook is annoying. I hate to say it, but "I told you so." Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture too! I'm very impressed with your surfing skills. Keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilled your blogging. Gives me something interesting to read while I am puking my guts out with our last child in tow. And well...I just love you guys. Of course I love your daughter and I wish she would just move here already...but you are simply wonderful. Way to go blogger...

    ReplyDelete